Tuesday, October 16, 2007

(Blog) Action Day... forever delayed


"All right it is December and I am walking around in my T-shirt! Whatever people may tell me, this cannot be normal, not for this hemisphere at least. Global warming is a fact and there are multiple proofs besides my sweat."

The picture and the phrase come from an old post of barcabios to prove once more that either mass protest comes always late, or that I am simply ahead of my time ;)

Blog Action Day about the environment had been declared for yesterday but I was busy doing other things. I apologize. I make my delayed contribution today, just because I believe not so much in the cause but in contributing per se. And since BA-day was yesterday, today may be the right day to whine about it. And first of all why "Action"? I think we will all agree that the situation is such based on the "actions" of some. Wouldn't "Reaction" make a bit more sense, or is it to harsh for them soft-Al-Gorish-late-worriers?

But lets stick to the "actions" (a term so wide so that it can include safely everything). I still do not see the possibility for any action here. You see, I sincerely think of all this global movement of people who don't have a say in anything to be almost completely worthless. What change will my blog ever make in improving the situation? I don't decide about general environmental policies, none of the political parties represented in my country's parliament has any serious suggestion about them and, lets face it, even if it had, do you really think these suggestions would make the real decision-makers, rain-forest cutters, oil-pumpers, energy-barons, sea-suckers, desert-spreaders worldwide lift an eyebrow?

So, I am sorry. I really doubt they 'll notice my blog complaining. They may smile sardonically while reading about Blog Action Day in today's 8-column titles of pretending-to-care newspaper first pages. And they 'll smile knowing that the more we write about it, the less we do about it, the more we learn about it, the less we feel obliged to actively deny it.

And the more we blog it, the less important it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment