Tuesday, June 5, 2007

BostonBios - Fog Warning


It is not only lately that my mood is highly correlated with the weather. But these last days have been something else. We somehow passed from warm, humid (in the absolutely literal sense)Saturday night to wake up on a chilly Sunday morning to go through a melancholic Sunday afternoon pouring with rain. And today I woke up in a hurry to get to the lab meeting to find myself lost inside the fog in the middle of Commonwealth Avenue. The air was so stuffy and humid, that although it was not raining I was actually walking through droplet of water and there appeared to be rain falling horizontally, if not floating in the air.

I just decide it was one of these Monday mornings, that they can also happen on this side of the Atlantic and that this foul, morning mood, combined with the bad weather and the beginning of a working week, signified a rite of passage for me eventually realizing that after some weeks even being 3000 miles away from the office can still mean working routine.

Apart from all that maybe it is better that this weather continues. The summer is only starting and all I can think of is sunny days, the sound of waves and the taste of salt mixed with white wine on my lips. And it is funny how sometimes we realize that we need unpleasant atmosphere to bring us back on the ground. The New England fog and the horizontal rain saved the day, putting my butt on the desk.

Apart from all that, life in Boston is evolving somehow in parallel with reality. Ever since I got here I have left behind a number of everyday activities such as reading the papers or following the news in general. My only connection with what is going on in this country has been watching the next to last Eastern Conference NBA semifinal at a bar in Allston last Thursday. In fact I have no idea of what is happening in the USA, or to put it better what are the issues that are concering the people here. This lack of information has not disturbed me yet although maybe just checking the weather forecast sometimes might save me the trouble of waking up surprised to a foggy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment