Friday, May 25, 2007

BostonBios - life at the porch


I spent my first days in Boston, looking at the rain outside the window, worrying that the clothes I have brought with me would not suffice for the cold and that I won't see all the things I want to see because of the bad weather.

But the weather proved me wrong and since yesterday it has been so warm I can only compare it with Barcelona at its most humid. And apart from the fact that it gets a bit hard to work without air-condition, I am really enjoying it. Summer is here at last.

Over the last days I have been questioning my work and my ability to carry it out. I am having more than the usual doubts about what I am doing and the usual about how well I am doing it
. A lot of parallel projects, none of which is working out exactly perfectly plus a paper review that puts my kindness in conflict with my scientific good practice.

My salvation has been the company of my good friend Kostas, some californian wine and his porch, at which we spent some nice, long hours last evening, talking about things that really matter. I am just hoping my visit in Boston has more of this and less of the work-related frustration.

let's go with the first series of Boston-Tracks...

sound-track (top 5 in my mp3 player)
1. Stone Roses - I am the resurrection (back to my basics after a nice party at a bar in Allston)
2. Arctic Monkeys - Leave before the lights come on (we caught them live in Avalon Club near Fenway Park and really enjoyed it)
3. Bob Dylan - I will be free (among a lot of other songs of his while getting in really US musical mood)
4. Van Morisson - Linden Arden stole the highlights
5. The Bathers - Kelvingrove baby (old but good, especially out on the porch)

word-track (books I have read or am still reading...)
1. William Faulkner - As I lay dying. the more you read the classics the more you realize there are few things that remain to be written. As the Greek philosopher Kornilios Kastoriades once said "nobody is going to go farther than Aeschylos or Kafka". And after this first reading of Faulkner I would agree. The book builds up slowly but reaches moments of greatness when you least expect it. Faulkner's ability to put universal truths in the mouths of the most simple people resembles that of Shakespeare.
2. William Faulkner - The sound and the Fury. Just started this one, it looks even better than as I lay dying. The language is a bit difficult but once you get the hang of it it works out fine.

film-track (films I saw lately)
1. Borat. My firend Kostas made me watch it when I first came here. Really enjoyed it, it was funny although it does not escape some cliches about "deep" USA, which are scary enough exactly because they are so cliches.

waiting-for-track
1. Visiting the Boston Museum of Fine Arts tomorrow
2. that work gets on some right track and results make sense at last

No comments:

Post a Comment