Tuesday, April 17, 2007

What a week...is coming?



After a violent comeback (in terms of abrupt break from holiday to 12-hour workshifts) and a tiring weekend, the week looks even worse. For the next three weeks, I have three main projects running and a side-one lined-up, numerous meetings pending, a poster to prepare and another one to think about...work seems to be piling up on me as pay-back for my being so consistent in disliking it...

But what can I do...I just clench my teeth, sing along Sinead o' Connor (see soundtrack) and wait until all this is behind...or actually until I put it behind me. Until then of course, my continuing mental instability seizures, accompanied by transient memory loss, repetitive delusions of pettiness and lapsing feeling of self-consciousness may carry on...But I wonder if maybe they are due to too much staring at my desktop...

............

As you may see the soundtrack these days is doubly biased towards melancholic and speedy-violent stuff. It is mostly because of post-holiday melancholy and speedy-stressful situations at work...I just hope that soon I go into summer mood and relax a bit (see waiting-for-track)

sound-track (top 5 in my mp3 player)
1. The John Coltrane quartet - My favourite things (with one of the most haunting piano solos EVER! by McCoy Tyner)
2. Muse - Asassain (cool new album..this belongs to the speeeeedy stuff)
3. Sinead O' Connor - You made me the thief of your heart (excellent song from the soundtrack of In the Name of the father)
4. Sinead O' Connor & the Chieftains- Foggy Dew (recently discovered this cover of my favourite Irish classic hymn and cannot stop listening to it)
5. Arctic Monkeys - Fluorescent Adolescent

word-track (books I have read or am still reading...)
-While in Greece there is a great debate on the revisionistic primary school history book, I got interested in some history of the Balkans in order to do some research on my own. I found a lot of my history books I keep in Athens stimulating even if I had to rediscover them by reading them over again. (Fortunately I read history books keeping sidenotes). Just in case someone would be interested in Balkan history (as I would really recommend to Greeks and all Balkanians so that they do not get fooled by so-called experts) some of the best books in my humble opinion would be:
1. The Balkans since 1453. Stavrianos (the ultimate reference)
2. The Balkans. Mark Mazower (modern approach by one of the leading 20th century historians)
3. History of the Balkans. Georges Castellan (especially for the part that covers the 18th century and the two crises of the oriental issue)
4. The age of Revolution. Eric Hobsbawm (could not NOT cite my favourite guy, but still 19th century world history and revolutions are his forte)

film-track (films I saw lately)
1. Ocean's 12. Follow up of Ocean's 11, a really "feel good" film, with the usual trio Sondeberg-Clooney-Roberts reaching co-operativity at high levels while having real fun. In all I liked it maybe even more than the first mostly because I felt it was made without trying to prove anything deeper than being an amusing "movie". Waiting for Ocean's 13 (coming soon)
2. The wind that shakes the barley. Typical case of disappointment due to over-anticipation. I wanted to see this latest Ken Loach film for a long time and I was a bit let down. In all it is good but it strongly reminds me of "Land and Freedom", falls into a lot of cliches about civil wars and is as one-sided as every Ken Loach movie. But again this is why we love him anyway).

waiting-for-track
1. To get in the REAL summer mood
2. to get some load of work of my back (necessary condition for #1)

No comments:

Post a Comment