Saturday, April 28, 2007

Something for the weekend


Yesterday night I went to a party, organized by a friend's friend in the middle of the Raval neighborhood. The house situated on one of the narrowest, lightlesslest streets of Barcelona was a really old block of flats, in which the apartment had the special privilege to occupy the last floor, that should allow at least a few hours of direct sunlight every day. Apart from all that, the place was quite nice and the people were all having fun, (some actually having reached, US-college-party-throwing-up-all-over-the-place levels of fun) . But strangely, I found myself in an awkward, unsociable position.

I did not feel like dancing to the cheesy latin music, nor making casual conversation with people I did not know, nor meeting people...is something the matter with me?

Yesterday I was wondering about the same thing, but maybe it is just a phase I am going through, one of this periods, we men may also have, moody and melancholic, probably for being unable to keep up with the general spring blooming that goes on around me. I had my moment though, once I reached the tiny balcony, looked over the small street on both sides, filled with its prostitutes whose callings did not make it to the fifth floor, the nordic tourists whose bodily odors DID make it even up there and suddenly felt the breeze coming down from Montjuic, whose lights blinked behind the nightly haze. The crappy music faded, irritating people became invisible, the smell of vomit and piss dissolved into the thin air, I felt calm and peaceful.

Maybe nothing is the matter with me after all. Maybe I just need more of these moments. As May is closing in, I might have to try earning them a bit more.

Somethings for the weekend
check this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiatUjDlROs&mode=related&search=

sound-track (top 5 in my mp3 player)
1. Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers feat. Wynton Marsalis - Time will tell (Indeed!)
2. Tom Waits - Invitation to the blues (yes it is true!)
3. Frank Sinatra - I 'll remember April (of course I will)
4. The Beatles - Abbey Road (brilliant! all the second half is a non-stop musical poem in the form of a farce!)
5. George Gershwin - The complete songbook for piano (recently saw "Manhattan" again and got into a complete NewYorkean Gershwin mood)

word-track (books I have read or am still reading...)
1. Fernando Pessoa (Bernardo Soares) - The book of disquietude (As depressing as it can get, not the best for spring, but Pessoa is a great master of words and if you step aside from the communicated feelings you can appreciate it)
2. Roger Penrose - the Road to reality (started reading this "encyclopedia" volume at the background of so many stuff that it will make no sense to talk about it now...will come back to you once I 've reached a 10% of this book...which will be in a 100 pages or so!!!)

film-track (films I saw lately)
1. Barry Lyndon - One of Kubrick's classics which I really enjoyed, with great cinematography (as Julien had already told me before seeing it), old-stylish story-board but with some captions deliberately made so that they look like Flemish master paintings. And Marisa Berenson is absolutely gorgeous.
2. Manhattan - Saw it again, liked it the same, most of all for the feeling that the New York, classy Gershwin music communicates throughout. See sound-track.
3. RadioFreccia - Saw half of it in italian!!! yesterday and managed to like it although I understood a bit more than half. A typical auto-biographic-for-the-70s movie (I think every country has at least one of those) but very nice in all, amusing and with a great soundtrack. Will try to see it in soon in a language I understand better.

waiting-for-track
1. Second leg of Champions League's semifinals, with my favourites Liverpool and Milan battling for a come back after the first games
2. Getting in journey mood on my way to the US East Coast

2 comments:

  1. May I ask what those white streaks are in the photo above?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I remember correctly, the photo was taken through a piece of glass where paint had dripped from the nearby house under reconstruction.

    ReplyDelete