Saturday, May 30, 2009

Life in the barracks


Scientifically speaking there is an easy and straightforward way for one to grasp the relativity of space-time and that is through a rigorous decoupling of its two components. If one manages to keep space constant, he allows time to clearly manifest its complete set of properties. And this is the kind of experiment I have been running for the last two weeks.

I know that living in the barracks cannot really qualify as a scientific experiment but things are sometimes better seen as something else than what they actually are. It helps. My military service is much, much more easy-going than I might have expected so there is no real reason for me to whine about something that has been suffered by almost all of my male friends. Being in the amry is no big deal. True it can be frustrating in many ways but one should stick to the positive side of things and if the military service has one such, it can be no other than the spare time it provides to the soldiers. For a 31-year old who has already changed home, job and lifestyle three or four times the mere idea that he only has to care about when to eat or sleep is radically liberating. On the other hand, it can also be close to becoming shockingly, painfully boring and in this way I had to devise a way out. My space-time experiment is the best I could come up with (for the time being).

For my first two weeks in the recruit camp of Arta I chose Thomas Mann's "Magic Mountain" to be my literary companion. I could have hardly picked anything more relevant to my situation. A young man's semi-voluntary confinement in a sanatorium on the Alps, where "nobody asks about him, and he asks about nobody". It may be somehow depressing to parallel my 9-month military service with Hans Castorp's seven years residence in Berghoff but the one thing I find we have in common is the opportunity to explore the relativity of time in its fullness. So, like Hans I found myself repeating the same routine daily, I tended to think about the importance of time and change and I hesitated on whether I should count time passing by with days, weeks or months. Like him, I am looking for ways to exploit the passing time and like him I find it difficult. Like him I have vigorously reflected on the essence of time. And unlike him I have found that if one keeps space constant, time also appears to slow down.

It thus looks like my experiment has already concluded. Which leaves me some 262 more days to think about other things.

3 comments:

  1. good to read from you again.. it was about time. good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. "And unlike him I have found that if one keeps space constant, time also appears to slow down"

    My friend, your "homeopathy" approach to the greek army experience - referring, of course, to your literary companion - is an experiment in itself! I am not sure whether you will find the book interesting (because army life is boring) or whether reality will surpass all expectations; in which case the book will be considered very "light".

    I am looking at the Labels: Army, Literature, Travelling. And at your profile photo (the one with your hands under your head, eyes staring into space). And I am thinking: Here's Christoforos 'travelling' again! Or he may be thinking of his next experiment (is it day 262 or 245? I 've lost counting!) ;-)

    Your English is really good (I mean it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear from you again, as well!
    I just would like to wish you, never to "slow down" your inspiration and ability of "provoking" your own life-experiments even when space seems to be kept constant.Good luck and hasta la proxima!

    ReplyDelete