Sunday, March 1, 2009

Homage to Barcelona


The photo was taken by Robert Capa in Barcelona on the 17th of October 1938. It pictures the perfect portrait of a man bidding farewell to Spain at the last parade of the International Brigades of the 35th Division of the Spanish Army.

Today I am that man.

I have not fought in a war (yet) but in an ironic way I am bidding farewell to Spain to join the army back in Greece. But today I am that man, in whose eyes I can see the determination of someone who knows he has fought the right war. Thus I am, today, leaving Barcelona after three years and 29 days having no regrets about anything. On the contrary, this farewell post should be a homage to Catalonia's pride capital.

There are so much I can say and so little space. Three years and 29 days would not fit in a post, even if they were completely void of emotions, memories, colours, sounds, tastes and odours. My days in Barcelona, happen to be full of all of the above. But how can one squeeze it all in here? People I 've met, friends I 've made, places I 've seen...
As this blog was created in the first place so that I can treasure the finest (or the most intense) of these moments, it would be a pleonasm to try to sum them up here. A blog is not a scientific paper. Thus it doesn't have to end with conclusions, or future perspectives. This blog could only end with acknowledgments.

Today I am the man in the photo. Speechless, overwhelmed, sad, thankful, I bid "Farewell" to Barcelona, I say "Thank you" to all of you.
If you still like me you should be proud of yourselves. You made me a better man.

You guys know who you are.


Barcabios has stopped but life (βιος) goes on. As I move to Athens I will take everything with me here : http://enathinaisbios.blogspot.com
We 'll keep in touch

1 comment:

  1. Μικρέ μου στρατιώτη (sic - με το συμπάθιο) μη σε παίρνει από κάτω!
    Σήμερα αρχίζει η Άνοιξη, στην πατρίδα έχει όμορφο καιρό και θα βρεις ανθρώπους που σε επιθύμησαν.

    Αναμένουμε εναγωνίως έναρξη νέου blog!

    Καλό ταξίδι!
    Idom

    ReplyDelete