Friday, November 14, 2008

my own personal "third circle of Irrigation"


Some few weeks ago I remember warning my friends about my intentions to switch my working mode into the one of a Greek civil servant. It was to be considered as warning since Greek civil servants are not exactly famous for their commitment and devotion. In my case, however, it had more to do with a sense of a lack of objective and an increasing decline of interest. You see, in my mind, working as a civil servant is less about lack of commitment and more about lack of goals. People think civil servants are not working enough, I think they are simply doing meaningless work. Instead of working for something, they are working for someone. In the end, they have been obliged, or have simply accepted to channel their efforts into something other than what they would like or consider fruitful.

As my main research project was growing to be more and more like the boring job of a ministry clerk and my main focus was shifting from doing something original to re-doing all the things other people have been publishing before I was allowed to, I started to feel like the life of a civil servant would be more suitable for me. I saw myself in a grey office, with piles of papers all around, in a world somewhere between that of Kafka and that of Pessoa. It looked less and less like my sunlit desk at the side of the Mediterranean and more like the one in the photo.

It was then that in order not to get completely depressed, I somehow subconsciously remembered of probably the most famous of all Greek civil servants of all time, Constantin Cavafy. For those unaware of this great man, I can simply recount a couple of biographical facts. He was Greek, living in Alexandria around the turn of the previous century and he was a civil servant for the Ministry of Public works, a position he held throughout his life. There you have it, your Greek civil servant. What makes Cavafy so special, is the fact that at the margin of an extremely boring life, spent between his desk at the "Third cycle of Irrigation" and his rather small, badly decorated, apartment in Rue Lepsius, he wrote a number of poems, whose number was big enough to qualify him as a poet and whose essence and style so supreme as to qualify him the great of them all.

I reflected a bit about this life of his, which most of his friends and acquaintances would describe as rather dull and ordinary, nothing like the tragically, romantic trajectory of Byron, the glorious magnificence of Goethe, or the bohemian voluptuousness of Beaudelaire. I saw Cavafy on his way home, back from work and I imagined him completely detached from the daily routine, drifting away in his timeless universe of interweaving pasts, the Byzantine emperors, the Alexandrian notaries and the forgotten lovers. To him, being a civil servant was simply a condition of subsidy, the irrigation plans, the daily correspondence and the translations were all but the side-effects of a conventional life he was too coward or too wise, (or perhaps both) to renounce.

I imagined how he could safely steer away from all these conventions and slowly, uncompromisingly head towards greatness. Cavafy, was able to achieve immortality. The rest of us, whose aim is the simple deliverance from everyday frustration and the hope for a meaningful life that takes place outside the office and resumes after 5pm, should know that this hope still exists.

And that anyone may be worth his own personal "Third cycle of irrigation".

6 comments:

  1. One of Cavafy’s poems freely adapted and put into music by Lluís Llach (“Viatge a Itaca”, excellent, by the way) contains a beautiful metaphor for the sense of life. The message of the original poem was that the meaning of life, is life itself (the journey) and not the final destination (Ithaca). My experience is that, regarding work, the period you are leaving now is (must be) one of the happiest, since in a lot of aspects it does not get much better. I don’t think to become a civil servant and accepting it without being happy with it would fit with Cavafy’s idea.
    Sorry to dare giving non requested advise, but you can (and should) do better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Μια νύχτα καλοκαιρινή, υγρή στη Λισσαβόνα,
    ονειροπόλος ποιητής χαϊδεύει τη σιωπή·
    -ο φόρος της διάνοιας πληρώνεται μ' αγρύπνια-
    αγρίμι είναι που κρύβεται σε σώμα λογιστή.

    Απ' τ' ανοιχτό παράθυρο κοιτά τους άδειους δρόμους.
    Τη μέρα ειν' ένα τίποτα. Το βράδυ ειν' «εγώ»,
    που κάθεται καρτερικά στην έρημη αποβάθρα,
    να πάρει την κλινάμαξα που πάει στην άβυσσο.

    Ανακαλεί τη θλίψη του, την αστραπή της γνώσης,
    για κάθε του παρόρμηση που άφησε κρυφή
    κι απ' το βιβλίο του Ιώβ χειροκροτά τη φράση:
    «Κουράστηκε η ψυχή μου απ' τη ζωή».

    Γλυκά θ' ανοίξει η κλειδαριά της πόρτας για το Σύμπαν,
    ο υπάλληλος Πεσόα θ' αφήσει τις σκιές
    και μένα, που ξαγρύπνησα, με πιάνει η ανησυχία,
    αν είναι οι αναμνήσεις μου ψεύτικες ή σωστές.

    Θανάσης Παπακωνσταντίνου - Rua da bella vista

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Σ’ ό,τι δουλειά με βάλουν θα πασχίσω
    να είμαι στην χώρα ωφέλιμος. Aυτή είν’ η πρόθεσίς μου.
    Aν πάλι μ’ εμποδίσουνε με τα συστήματά τους—
    τους ξέρουμε τους προκομένους: να τα λέμε τώρα;
    αν μ’ εμποδίσουνε, τι φταίω εγώ."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me cite Alexander Ruskin (7 lamps of Architecture) from the lamp of life:
    "We have certain work to do for our bread, and that is to be done stenuously; other work to do for our delight and that is to be done heartily; neither is to be done by halves and shifts, but with a will; and what is not worth this effort should not be done at all"

    It is worth mentionning that Cavafy appreciated Ruskin a lot. In Tsirkas's book on the relation between Cavafy and Politics, you can find extensive commentaries on Ruskin by him.

    Excellent post. Especially the "working for something" versus "working for someone" part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To ggil: Thanks for the comment, I am aware of "Viatge a Itaca", I really like it. And yes, you are right I am still in that phase of my life that tiny problems appear greater only because of the lack of "background" ;)

    To B.: next post was partly inspired by your comment. But my obsessions -mind you- prove too persistent.

    To D.: Could not have said it better myself (obviously)

    To Poly: Thank you for the reference. I completely ignore the work of Ruskin. Perhaps in the future I find time to dig into it. My "civil servant" status is probably going to help me.

    To all: thanks for reading...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being an ex-Greek civil servant, I felt obliged to comment to your so-true post (although not having something important to say).
    Greek civil servants are exactly famous for their commitment and devotion.The question would be "devoted to what or whom"...and I would not dare to answer that.The truth is that this "devotion" and their profund will to "serve" the Greek civil system has provoked the total luck of real work to be done!So many "servants" and so little to be served.It is not the meaningless work they are doing that causes all these phenomena mentioned above (somebody has to do this work anyhow), but it is the absolute luck of work!
    Considering the lack of objective and the increasing decline of interest, I totally agree that is a personal thing or attitude. Of course, one's working environment influence a lot in the development of such an attitude but Cavafy is one important exception that (unfortunately) verifies the general "rule".
    I hope and wish that personalities like his still exist in the Greek civil servants "community" but not discovered yet...

    ReplyDelete