Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Submitted. What now?


This image is to celebrate closure.

Of course as in most things in life, closure is relatively hard to define and this becomes even more complicated in science. A paper submitted, after almost a year and a half of trying, does not signify closure at all, but it is at least a relief. And given the holiday spirit, just about to consume everything (literally) and everyone, hence the fireworks.

But as since noon yesterday, after having pressed this "approve submission" button I was longing for, I keep remembering a poem by my favourite Kavafis, entitled "Waiting for the Barbarians". It is because suddenly, I feel I have been so much consumed by work that I find it hard to come back to everyday life after finishing with too many pending issues. Sunday afternoon I almost enjoyed cleaning up my flat, since Saturday I have watched four films on TV already but still I find myself too tense to even go to bed before 3. It is what the poem is about -more or less-. Once a threat, (or a challenge, or a thing you had to do in any case) is not there anymore, what remains to keep you going? You suddenly find yourself feeling empty and useless and it's probably entirely your fault for having shut out every other activity just to get your stupid work done. And now, with your work simply done and you have no idea of what to do. You find yourself, a one-dimensional man, with all your interests suppressed under the weight of everyday obligations. And for this brief moment that these obligations seem to vanish you just stand there half-bored and half-overtensed, insomniac and dizzy.

And you simply wonder if two weeks of holidays are enough for you to regain perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment