Thursday, March 22, 2007

Lay-Z boy!



It is Murphy's law, pure natural anticipation, the boss being absent, tireness combined with boredom or all of the above but the bottom line is this: The closer I get to holidays the less I am eager to work.

The joke in the lab has been that I am an ace in "pretending to work", having a PhD in "slacking off" and similar euphemisms but the truth is that I have been working far off my limits over the last weeks. On top of that I had to deal with a series of my famous (to the ones that know me that is) psycho-somatic seizures, which brought about a number of consequent panic attacks, according to which my teeth were all to be rotten and fall off, my ears would remain plugged until the end of time, my recently injected for tetanus arm would gradually lose all consciousness and end up paralyzed etc. etc. During this highly neurotic, frenetic month I managed to carry on working in three or four different projects, producing results that at least kept my boss satisfied plus give a decent seminar in front of my colleagues, some of which had a first chance to fall under the spell of my fully-convincing-pretending-to -work-hard line of arguments, before waking out of their limbo and start making fun of me again!

Nonetheless, even pretending to give a seminar about pretentious work, with pretentious results and over-pretentious conclusions can make you tired (in fact sometimes it can tire you more than actual work!)
I am now looking more and more forward to getting on that plane and head to Greece where the sun will be shining, ouzo will be on the rocks and nucleosomes will once again become a n interesting topic to philosophize about. Until next Friday when this will happen, I only want to lie on the couch and read my book, which this time is Freud's "Moses and Monotheism" that I bought last week from a second hand bench in Plaza del Tripi. A very interesting read, (if you are into anthropology, the structure of myths and deconstruction techniques in the style of Levi-Strauss).

All I would really want right now is the armchair of the picture and my book. And since it is late Thursday evening I think I ll call it a day and head home to my couch and my dear Freud.

No comments:

Post a Comment